Module: Waste Management
Using your choice of industry and an existing organisation, review the organisations waste management and disposal strategy.
Choice of Industry: Construction and demolition
An existing organization: We need to select and existing organization
An existing construction company in UK (preferably in Scotland- Ex: Morrison Construction) and discuss the procedure they adopt for managing waste and disposing it (if there is not enough information online, this will require emailing the company and getting the information needed)
An existing waste collection company that deals with construction and demolition (Ex: Zero Waste Scotland) discuss the procedures they adopt for waste collection.
Please follow the exact outline shown below:
I. Introduction 300 words
– Problem of Waste management in the construction industry (% waste coming from this industry in the UK, and EU)
– Introducing the company you chose
II. Legislations and standards (25 points) 400 words
– Identify key legislation that your selected organization has to comply with in its waste management and disposal strategy.
Here you should describe the standards this company has set to their waste (own standards), and the legislation/policies that should be followed legally (common standards)
III. Type of waste and strategies (30 points) 750 words
– Describe the main types of waste in your choice of industry and specifically illustrate the key steps followed by the organization in complying with the requirements of its waste management and disposal strategy using at least four types of waste outlined above.
Waste Stream: Construction and Demolition Waste
List all types of waste (materials and products) in construction and demolition stream (this will require research) and specify in which category each type falls into.
Choose 4 types of waste listed above, and describe the procedure adopted to manage and dispose each.
IV. Measures and efficiency of waste management plan Assessment
(30 points) 750 words
– Discuss key measures adopted by the organization to achieve efficient cost savings and a better financial returns in following the organizations waste management and disposal strategy.
Key measures could be transportation, site layout, site waste management plan, reuse of materials
Assess how the organization is including considerations to manage waste, in other words CONTROL measures, in every cycle.
How these achieve efficient cost savings and better returns, and of course reducing waste or preventing?
V. Recommendations (15 points) 300 words
– Explain briefly the improvements you would recommend to the organizations waste management and disposal strategy.
– In every cycle of waste we can include some consideration to manage waste, a form of CONTROL give example
– Provide Incentives (promoting reuse and recycling in the company)
– We start by solving the problem by putting measures for the activities that let to waste (PRO ACTIVE solutions) give an example
Very brief, can be included in V.