Your second essay is designed to heighten your awareness of the different expectations people have for nonverbal communication. For this essay, you should make a list of the nonverbal behavior rules you experience on a daily basis. Then, you should intentionally violate the nonverbal behavior rule and observe others reactions. You must engage in the violation no less than five times with five different people.
To complete this assignment, you should write a 600 900 word essay addressing the questions below. You will be evaluated on your understanding of course material, your reasoning and synthesis of ideas, and your writing style including grammar and mechanics. All writing assignments should be double-spaced with 1 margins and 12-point font.
1. Identify and define the nonverbal behavior you chose to violate. Specifically, discuss the norms associated with that particular behavior and (or category of behaviors) discussed in your textbook.
2. Describe in detail how you violated the nonverbal norm. Describe what you did, with whom, and where. (Remember: the violation shouldve occurred at least five times with five different people.) Be specific in explaining how your actions were in violation of societys expectations.
3. Describe the specific nonverbal behaviors that were part of others responses and discuss whether the reactions were what you expected. Reflect on why you think others reacted that way (consider factors such as relationship status, age, gender, situation, etc.).
4. Broadly, explain how you felt violating these norms. Did it make you uncomfortable? Why or why not?
5. Overall, justify why nonverbal norms, such as the one you violated, exist in our culture.
TEXTBOOK: Nonverbal Behavior in Interpersonal Relations