Unit IX: take home Exam
pleas answer to the best of your ability
1. Using your understanding of infant motor and brain development, as well as Piagets theory, design an effective daycare room for infants and toddlers. Be sure to explain why you choose to put things in the room and why you might choose to leave them out. Use correct terminology and specific theories where appropriate.
2. Explain why a toddler, who learned that animals in the water are fish, yells fishie! every time the family dog jumps into the pool.
3. Bob and Mary are a young married couple considering adopting a child and they have come to you for advice. Bob is concerned that if they adopt a child over the age of three that they will never truly bond with the child. Use your knowledge of Harlows experiment, Ainsworths study, and the findings of Kornad Lorenz to address their concerns.
4. Johnnys parents grounded him without explanation. When he asked why, they gave no reason. At the same time, Sallys parents let her go anywhere and do anything she wants without any punishment. Out of the different parenting styles which two do these scenarios best represent? What kind of adults and Johnny and Sally likely to become? Explain your answer.
5. Ashley is a successful business woman who has been struggling to come to grips with her career choice and is considering a change to a job that pays less but she thinks she will find more rewarding. According to Erik Eriksons theory, what is her approximate age and the social conflict she is dealing with?
6. According to Erikson, what is the process of identity development, when does it happen, and what are the influences of parents and peers?
7. Two trains are going off a cliff, and Bob has the chance to save only one. One of these trains has Bobs immediate family, and the other has the doctor with the cure for cancer. Which train should Bob save? Give one possible answer for each stage of moral development and identify which stage for each answer.
8. As Amy celebrates her 50th birthday she plans to switch her career. She cannot decide between an engineer and an author. Based on your knowledge of crystallized vs. fluid intelligence, which job would you recommend for her and why?
9. Which theory of development do you believe is the most accurate understanding of human development? Please use specific terminology and examples to support your answer.